Bahrain Specialist Hospital is accredited by the Joint Commission International (JCI) and the National Health Regulatory Authority of Bahrain (NHRA) and scored Diamond Level accreditation as a commitment to quality and safety.
The Department of Quality Improvement and patient safety leads the quality and safety initiatives in the organization and is to committed to enhance patient Safety and provide high quality services to patients. Quality is always attributed to as meeting and exceeding customer needs and expectations to delight them. This is accomplished by involving the staff, using processes with a focus on professional quality, patient satisfaction, system effectiveness, prevention of non-compliances with proactive approach, interrelationship between departments to continuously improve the services provided to the patients. A culture of continuous quality improvement is cultivated and encouraged to provide the patients a safe environment to receive the highest quality care.
Bahrain Specialist Hospital Quality philosophy is based on the following core principles:
- Quality Improvement work as systems and processes - The concepts behind the QI approach is to recognize both resources (inputs) and activities carried out (processes) are addressed together to ensure or improve quality of care (outputs/outcomes).
- Focus on patient care and safety - An important measure of quality is the extent to which patients’ needs and expectations are met. Services that are designed to meet the needs and expectations of patients and their families.
- Focus on being part of the team- Quality Improvement is everyone’s responsibility and always is a team process. Under the right circumstances, a team harnesses the knowledge, skills, experience, and perspectives of different individuals within the team to make lasting and continued improvements.
- Focus on use of the data - Data is the cornerstone of Quality Improvement. It is used to describe how well current systems are working; what happens when changes are applied, and to document successful performance.
The following initiatives are continuously ongoing as a part of quality improvement and patient safety:
- Identification, development and implementation of policies, procedures and protocols.
- Ensure evidence-based medicine of the highest standard is practiced.
- Safe Medication practices.
- Incident reporting.
- Performance review through well-defined key indicators.
- Respect and protection of patient rights.
- Quantification and measurement of patient satisfaction.
- Safe and effective infection control practices.
- Compliance with bio-medical waste management policy.
- Patient Education including to their families to encourage participation and compliance in the treatment process.
- Engagement of the patients and their families in promoting patient safety.
- Effective use of resources.